Singapore’s higher education is well-known in Asia and the world. When it comes to the universities of Singapore, the first two universities that come to mind must be the National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University. These two public universities in Singapore lead Asia in the QS World University Rankings 2021, with the National University of Singapore ranked 11th in the world. Nanyang Technological University is ranked 13th in the world.
But in fact, in Singapore with a very high level of education, both public and private universities are highly competitive.
Advantages of public universities in Singapore
- Preferential immigration policies. If international students from public universities in Singapore work in Singapore after graduation, they can immediately apply to become a Singapore permanent resident (green card) once they work.
- Broad employment prospects. The professional setting of the public universities of Singapore basically depends on the demand for talents in Singapore’s economic development, and it develops courses according to the number of future employment and the needs of the labor market. Many popular majors in the universities of Singapore have a local employment rate of about 80%, such as: hotel management, accounting, logistics management, business management, finance and other majors, suitable for students of any basic application.
- The visa approval rate is high. Compared with western countries, the approval rate of visa application for studying in Singapore is much higher, which is also a major advantage for students who choose to study in public universities in Singapore. However, the disadvantage is that the number of admissions in public universities is small, and it is not easy to be admitted. Students who study in public universities in Singapore must be regarded as academic leaders.
Recommended public universities: National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore Management University, Singapore University of Technology and Design, Singapore Polytechnic University, Singapore University of Social Sciences.
Advantages of private universities in Singapore
- The admission rate of Singapore private university is high and the threshold is relatively low. Many schools do not have strict English score requirements, and will cultivate students from both English preparatory courses and basic courses according to their actual English proficiency until they graduate from college.
- High employment rate, professional auxiliary employment. Singapore has ample work visas and employment opportunities for foreign students. According to the Private Education Institution (PEI) Graduate Employment Survey (GES) of the Private Education Council of Singapore, 80.7% of graduates from private institutions in Singapore can find a job within 6 months of graduation.
- The school system is short and the tuition fee is low. Many private universities have a shorter academic system, and the 3-year course is allowed to be completed in two years, in order to reduce the cost of studying abroad and get employment in advance. At the same time, in terms of tuition fees, compared with Europe, America and Australia, Singapore has an overall advantage. In particular, choosing a joint institution between European and American universities and Singapore is equivalent to spending less tuition and getting a diploma from the same school. Not only that, the school also provides generous scholarships for outstanding students, which greatly reduces the cost of studying abroad.
- “Golden Springboard”, it is easier to further study. Private institutions in Singapore usually cooperate with famous universities in the UK/US/Australia to run schools or set up branch campuses to issue globally accredited diplomas and degrees. Students can enter European and American schools after completing two-year courses in Singapore or meeting certain requirements. The diploma obtained is no different from the diploma of the students of this school, and there is a better chance to enter the famous universities in Europe and America for further study.
Recommended private universities: Singapore Institute of Management, James Cook University, Singapore Campus, Curtin University, Singapore, Kaplan Higher Education.
In general, private universities and public universities in Singapore have their own advantages, and you can choose the school that suits you according to your actual situation.