It’s no secret that the CBD industry has continued to flourish over the years. And, its popularity has even led to the development of different products like CBD oil, among others. But, what exactly is CBD or cannabidiol? This is one of the two chemicals present in hemp or cannabis. Unlike THC, which is responsible for psychoactive effects, you can use CBD for arthritis, Beezy Beez.
It can also come with several benefits. They include:
According to a 2015 review, CBD can help lower anxiety by interacting with your brain’s serotonin receptor, cannabinoid type one receptor, and other receptors. These receptors regulate your anxiety-induced behaviors and fear. By interacting with these receptors, CBD can significantly reduce your anxiety. The researchers also found clinical and preclinical evidence that CBD can effectively treat different anxiety disorders like:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Social anxiety disorder
- Panic disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Also, in a recent 2020 study, the effects of CBD were evaluated in 397 adults. The study participants received CBD prescriptions for different ailments, including cancer-related symptoms, non-cancer pain, mental health symptoms, and neurological symptoms.
The participants who received CBD treatment for depression or anxiety reportedly experienced an improvement in how they performed their daily functions. They also had reduced anxiety, pain, or depression symptoms. All these ailment groups experienced an improvement in their overall quality of life within three weeks.
In another study, researchers also evaluated the effects of CBD in 72 participants to treat sleep or anxiety problems. A majority of the participants received a 25 CBD milligram capsule a day. After the first two months of treatment, at least 78.1% of participants experienced an improvement in their anxiety symptoms. These studies go to prove that CBD can help with anxiety.
Another benefit that comes from CBD is helping with chronic pain. According to the NCCIH or the National Centers for Complementary and Integrative Health, there is some evidence that CBD can help relieve chronic pain. Some of the chronic pain CBD can help reduce include:
- Neuropathic pain: This is a type of pain that causes damage to your nerves. This pain is common in diseases like infections, multiple sclerosis, and injuries like a herniated disc. A review done in 2017 found that CBD helped relieve chronic neuropathy pain.
- Arthritis pain: According to a study done in 2016 and published in the European Journal of Pain, CBD can help reduce patients’ manage arthritis pain. This study applied a CBD topical gel to rats with arthritis for at least four days. After four days, the researchers noted a drop in inflammation and no sign of pain. This study shows that CBD can help people with arthritis find relief from the pain they experience.
- Multiple Sclerosis: This is an autoimmune condition, which affects your entire body through the brain and nerves. One of the common symptoms of MS is muscle spasms. These spasms are so strong that they constantly cause pain in most patients. According to one report, CBD can help reduce the muscle spasms a patient experiences.
- Depression: One of the common mental health conditions people experience today is depression, which has lasting effects on a person’s social life, health, overall well-being, and ability to work. CBD has been shown to treat both anxiety and depression.
According to research findings done in 2014, CBD can help treat depression. This study also shows that CBD has a positive interaction with your brain’s serotonin receptors. The serotonin receptors in your brain impact a significant range of body functions, including your emotional state. It also affects your feelings of happiness and well-being. Keeping the serotonin levels balanced is essential in helping people with depression.
- Addiction: According to a 2015 study published in the journal Substance, CBD can help with addiction. The study reviewed 14 published studies, and out of those studies, five studied its effects on humans, while nine studied its impact on animals. The researchers found that it had a promise in treating individuals with cocaine, opioid, or psychostimulant addiction. But, the use of CBD had a different effect on each addiction type.
Some experts also indicate that CBD can treat nicotine and cannabis dependence. However, more research is needed to determine this.
The benefits of CBD outweigh the risks that come with using this drug. However, try to ensure that you talk to your doctor before taking any CBD product.